The report also identifies six different millennial 'tribes'. Many millennials will no doubt resent being labelled and boxed into a tribe or sub-group. Nonetheless, here are the six groups from the study's executive summary:
- Bros & Brittanys (32% of Millennials): Avid risk-takers, seek excitement, enthusiastic consumers; work hard to get paid in order to pursue their chosen lifestyle; embrace technology and social connections.
- Diverse Strivers (20%): Priority to 'make it' and have material success; are driven in their careers and personal challenges; want to inspire respect in those closest to them; care about their appearance, latest gadgets and toys.
- Engaged Idealists (17%): Sociable, energetic, experience-seeking, idealistic; contribute to their relationships, careers and communities; believe that their actions matter and shape their lives and the world around them; they want interesting, meaningful careers that let them express themselves and their creativity; quality of their work experience is a higher priority than high pay; seek to have fun and a happy, balanced life.
- Lone Wolves (16%) Skeptical of authority, lack strong social and emotional connections, solitary, aim to keep life simple/straightforward; rarely involved in community events, low-key but not hostile, not aggressive or discriminatory.
- New Traditionalists (11%): Religion a big part of lives and identity; have conservative family and gender roles; value traditional etiquette, appropriate dress, manners, respect for elders, authority figures; strong sense of duty and identification with family roots.
- Critical Counterculturists (4%): Engaged and critical; sometimes build businesses or pursue groundbreaking online activism, progressive values (like Engaged Idealists) but place high value on rationality; reject status and authority if it's seen as illegitimate or superficial.
Check out the full infographic here by Environics’ Research
Read the full report here: environicsinstitute.org/institute-projects/current-projects/canadian-millennial-social-values-study
Press release here: www.newswire.ca/news-releases/new-survey-reveals-the-diversity-of-canadas-millennial-generation-through-their-social-values-613786623.html