Carbon Monoxide is called "the silent killer" because it is a colourless and odorless gas that can be fatal in just a few minutes at high concentrations. (from My Help Book BC)
CARBON MONOXIDE (CO) SAFETY
STAY SAFE – get a CO detector for your home, RV or camper. Anyone with fuel-burning or gas appliances needs linked CO alarms near furnace, bedrooms and on each floor. Learn what your CO alarm sounds like and what to do if it goes off. Keep track of when you need to replace it, keep it clean, make sure it has fresh batteries, and follow other important instructions. Get a quality certified unit.
In one tragedy an entire Ontario family died because they did not have a CO monitor (CBC News). In the U.S. (2015) a slumber party fell ill due to a faulty furnace. And in the Yukon (2015), a faulty propane refrigerator would have created a tragedy if not for a CO monitor.
POTENTIAL SOURCES OF CO EXPOSURE:
Furnaces, gas & kerosene space heaters, boilers, gas stoves, gas water heaters, gas clothes dryers, gas fireplaces, charcoal grills, wood stoves, camp stoves, vehicles, boat exhaust, lawn mowers, generators, power tools with internal combustion engines; propane- powered vehicles.
Learn signs of CO problems in the home from the BC Safety Authority website.
Indoors and enclosed spaces:
If exposed to high concentration, a victim may pass-out with no symptoms in a few minutes.
CO EXPOSURE EMERGENCY: Get everyone outside and call 911. Get medical attention. Let them know it may be CO poisoning.
CO EXPOSURE NON-emergency (if no one is experiencing symptoms of CO poisoning): Shut off fuel-burning or gas appliances; call your gas company; get a qualified professional to check & fix problem. See a doctor, let them know you have had CO exposure.
On-going low CO exposure is bad for health, especially for vulnerable people.
What are signs of on-going low CO exposure?
LEARN MORE CO Safety Information:Examples of CO poisoning in the news
My Opportunity & Help Book BC