To find most housing and rental subsidies available to BC residents check BCHousing.org (click on "Find Housing" top left corner for subsidies list).
Or call BC Housing:
Toll free from anywhere in BC: 1-800-257-7756
Victoria: 250 475-7550
Full BC Housing phone and fax numbers list
For Seniors - SAFER subsidy program
- For renters age 60+ who pay over 30% of their gross monthly income for rent.
- See eligibility and application information here.
- If you need help with applying, contact your local MLA.
For Families - Rental Assistance subsidy program
For families with dependent children (under age 19; or under age 25 and in school; or defined as dependent under tax rules).
- See detailed list of eligibility rules here.
- Go to application page here.
- If you need help to apply, contact your local MLA.
For Home Owners
- BC Home Owners Grant (qualifying home owners can reduce property tax)
- BC Property Tax Deferment Program (for qualifying homeowners).
Home Adaptation subsidies
Energy Efficiency programs
- Low-income BC Hydro or Fortis BC customers may be eligible for free Energy Saving Kits.
- Home owners (and others) may be eligible for renovation rebates and other programs.
- See LiveSmart BC for more information
See more subsidy information (including for people with disabilities) at BC Housing.org
- Tenant's Rights Action Coalition:
1-800-665-1185 (toll free in BC); Vancouver 604-255-0546
Tenant's Survival Guide online here.
- BC Residential Tenancy Branch (Government of BC):
1-800-665-8779 (toll free);
Vancouver 604-660-1020; Victoria 250-387-1602
- BC Condo Owners Association: 1-877-353-2462 (toll free)
- Manufactured (mobile) Home Owners of BC: 1-877-222-4560 (toll free)
- Povnet - Tenant Rights information and links to help you find a housing advocate.
According to CMHC's Fall 2014 Rental Report, the average rent for a one bedroom apartment in Victoria is $850 per month, however, a survey of recent (Nov-Dec 2014) Craigslist ads shows the average rent for a one bedroom in the Victoria region is closer to $900/month. For Vancouver, CMHC's average rent for a one bedroom apartment is $1020, however, recent Craigslist ads show the average closer to $1100/month.
- BC Non-Profit Housing Association - Affordability Housing Map
- Province of BC - Housing Information
- CMHC - Average Rents in BC (cities)
- CMHC Rental Reports for Victoria, Vancouver and Kelowna